Thursday, October 28, 2010

Classroom Management

Classroom management is a big part of a student's education. Without proper classroom management, a student may not be able to learn to the best of his/her ability. For this reason,  I plan on implementing many different ideas that I have seen work in my years of attending school, in my practicums, and what I have learned in this class along with others at Drake. I first and foremost would make sure that my students understand that though I can be friendly and we can joke around, there are times to be serious. I am to be respected as their teacher and elder. I want my students to feel comfortable enough to speak with me about problems that they are having inside and outside of the classroom. That is the best kind of teacher, in my opinion, one that you can count on when help is needed.

As a preschool/ kindergarten teacher, I will learn my student's zone of proximal development and move on from there as that is the best way to reach everyone's learning level on specific subjects. I will definately have high expectations for my students, as I have seen that when teachers have a high expectation of their students, younger children tend to thrive to reach those goals, and at times, even exceed them. I want to be able to say that I made a difference in my student's lives and that they are something great in life like the President, Cheif of Police, Doctors, or Lawyers. To think that this would have all more or less started with me would be the most amazing feeling.

I want to make sure that all of my students are more or less on the same page before I move on to the next subject. Though there are standards and such that need to be met, I believe that it is more important to ensure that all of my students understand the material rather than teaching it, moving on, and keeping my fingers crossed that they got something out of it. I don't want them to just understand some of it, I want them to understand subjects close to completely, if not completely (as I understand that it is not always possible to get everyone on the same page without boring the individuals who understood it the first time it was taught).

No comments:

Post a Comment