Thursday, September 16, 2010

Including DLT, SLT, and CLT in the classroom

I feel that trying to incorporate the three learning theories that we have learned so far would be extremely difficult as well as easy. I say this because it is fairly easy to incorporate one or more of the learning theories without even realizing that you are doing so. This was shown clearly in class on Tuesday when we learned about the Constructivist Learning Theory as we did not know we were learning something new and relevant, but we most definately were. Some of the class even ventured to question why we were even doing certain activities as we did not realize that they tied into anything until we had already learned it. Whereas trying too hard to utilize the three learning theories can become frustrating and more difficult than need be.

Questions I would ask myself to ensure that I am utilizing these 3 learning theories:

1)  CLT (Constructivist Learning Theory)
                            ** What is the student's position on the topic at hand?
                            ** Will the student have to assimilate or accomidate their stance on the topic at hand at all?


2)  DLT (Developmental Learning Theory)
                            ** Where are the students on the concrete to abstract scale?
                            ** How am I determining the student's position on the conctete to abstract scale?
                            **Am I making sure that students are understanding both concrete and abstract parts of the topic at hand?
                            ** Am I leaving anyone behind, and do I need to go over things again to ensure that everyone is on the same page?
                            ** Am I breaking things down enough so students can understand it from the concrete point of view?
                            ** Am I making sure that the level of abstract thinking is age-appropriate for the students?



3)  SLT  (Social Learning Theory)
                            ** Am I allowing students to do group work as to essentially learn from one another?
                            ** Am I allowing students to  
                            ** Am I allotting time for students to use their peers to inquire with and bounce ideas off of one another?
                            ** Where are the students on the Zone of Proximal Development Scale?
                            ** If students are struggling, is there an opportunity for them to learn from the more knowledgeable student in the group/ classroom? If so, has that opportunity been seized?

No comments:

Post a Comment