Thursday, December 9, 2010

Standardized Testing

Standardized tests were something that I used to dread. This also goes for my fellow classmates. This is something that I feel is not beneficial for students as they should not be afraid of what should essentially be bettering their learning experience. I remember always having two weeks before our standardized tests to review and for teachers to coach us on how to properly take the test. They taught us a variety of methods to cheat the system and better our scores as to make the school look as if they were doing everything correctly even if they were, in fact, doing just the opposite. Though these were supposed to reflect the school, I do not feel as though they served much more of a purpose than that. I don't believe that they gave an accurate account of how the school was progressing with all the coaching and what not going on. These tests did not benefit anyone, including the school systems. It may have if the information was correct, but due to the teachers trying so hard to make themselves look as if they had done their jobs appropriately, I do not feel that the tests were beneficial at all. The most excitement that came from these tests were when we got breaks to text, use the restoom, and eat snacks. That is not where education should be right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment